Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Man On The Hospital Window"

I got introduced to her today. I knew she was there in some strange corner of the world, waiting in anticipation for me to arrive. When I walked into the hospital earlier today. I knew I'd see her. Something told me, she wasn't very far away.
The butterflies in my stomach which I thought were long gone reappeared from nowhere, as if to remind me of my anticipation of what was to come. The elevator ride like the stairway to heaven. I was there, I was ready. But, I wondered while I waited to see that nice man, what was taking so long? That nice man who I'd learnt to like from the past few visits.
Walking into the man's office dint feel the same and that's what gave it away. I knew he had news for me from his tone on the telephone call early this morning. I knew she had finally arrived for me. I could hardly wait for the good new to anymore but, the doctor seemed to have an agenda of his own. I had waited so long now I thought a few, more minutes won’t hurt, would it?
So, there I was in the hospital clothes, with rear end on view, yet ready as a man could ever be to hear the words drop out of his mouth. The suspense was getting fierce, the tension was building and then, just like that, there she was. All these years, I had planned, plotted and thought over all the intelligent things I wanted to say to her when we first met. Here, she was and I had nothing to say but smile emptily but, fulfilled.
The moment had passed for me to say and for her to hear. I had retired to my new residence now. Small and precise, even boring to some but, for me it was rendezvous point. We were here and she finally spoke...

"Where were you? I've been waiting so long?"
She looked so hopeful and demanding. I knew she wanted answers and today she was going to get them.
"I left you many hints!" she said.
Oh! If only she knew how those subtle hints led me to her, if only she knew, what it felt like to finally be with her, to be able to embrace her and live till death do us part. She was my companion, I knew, the one I had asked for forever.

So I wrote to her…

"Dear Cancer,
For all those times when I knew that you were waiting with arms wide open, for all those times when I knew, you wouldn't have sympathy but genuine love for me, for all those times where you stood by me. I thank you with all my heart. I want you to know that I picked up all the subtle hints that left me, because I knew you weren't far behind. I'm sorry for taking this long. But, now that I'm here with you, I feel complete.
Thank you for taking me on journeys far and beyond. Thank you for trying to make it as painless as you possibly could. I know deep in my heart you tried.
You are and will always be my cherished one.

With all my love,
Man on the hospital window."


P:s- i write this for you...dear friend...you know who you are,thanks for pushing me into the one best thing i know how to do...

1 comment:

Arnab said...

I AM AWESTRUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkk! Blown over............ U r still the best!

-Luv 'n' Luk
Arnab